In 1900, a group of iron and steel
companies in and around Hamilton, Ontario, came together to form the
Hamilton Steel and Iron Company. The first president of this group
of companies was Charles S. Wilcox, formerly of the Ontario Tack
Company, and later the president of the Steel Company of Canada.
The Ontario Rolling Mills, the oldest of the original companies to
form the Hamilton Steel and Iron Company, had itself been previously
combined with the Hamilton Blast Furnace Company, which had been
established in 1895 at Huckleberry Point. Huckleberry Point would
later become Stelco's Hamilton Works (Hilton Works), when the
Hamilton Steel and Iron Company became a part of the Steel Company
of Canada in 1910.